Reconsignment occurs when a destination address is changed for a freight shipment while the shipment is still in transit and has not reached the final destination. This includes returning a shipment to the sender.
- Contact the freight carrier to request a Letter of Authority (LOA). Written authorization is required to make the change to the carrier as the Bill of Lading is a legal contract, so any changes made must be in writing. Authorization must always be made by the shipper or paying party.
- Fill out the LOA and send back to the freight carrier for processing.
- The carrier will enter the information into their online system and image the authorization.
- A rating analyst reviews the request, verifies that we have authorization to make the change, and completes the request.
- Notification is sent to the terminal who currently has, or if it is in transit, will have the freight.
- New labels have to be generated and put on the freight.
- The shipment will now be delivered to the updated address.